Uncommon Remedies in Clinical Practice
Homeopathic Journal :: Volume: 4, Issue: 6, Apr 2011 (General Theme) - from Homeorizon.com
Author : Dr. Ashok Dantkale, MD (Hom), Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physiology & Biochemistry, Bangalore
Article Updated: Apr 17, 2011
"The mind refuses to move into anything new since it is so easy to stick to the old and familiar".
UTILITIES OF UNCOMMON REMEDIES:
Uncommon remedies are generally prescribed on their peculiar symptom, their traditional uses and law of signature. It requires good command of its knowledge and sharp memory along with the understanding of various allied medical subjects. It requires a good knack and vast readings of homoeopathic literatures of the most celebrated prescribers of India and abroad. It is worth giving a trial before just condemning them. It is to a certain extent pathological prescribing. Most of the times we are tempted to match the patient with one of the remedies we know well. We convince ourselves that the patient must have this or that feeling, and therefore requires this or that remedy. The main pitfall of a homoeopath is to fall into the rut of prescribing a specific range of remedies, fitting all his patients into that group. The main objective of this article is to feel the necessity of keeping an open mind to all the peculiarities, whether mental or physical, and to allow ourselves to see the patient as he is, without fitting him into a particular idea. Thus we expand our materia medica and create an opportunity to discover new remedies. This article does not aim at advocating prescription on one or two symptoms even if they may be peculiar. However, when we do come across something peculiar we should open our reference books and try to find that exact symptom, instead of brushing it aside because it does not fit in with our preconceived idea about the patient's remedy.
The characteristics given under each remedy are all well known and verified symptoms and would serve in the selection of the correct remedy. Given below are few neglected but very useful remedies:
1. ARANIA DIADIMA: Hydrogenoid constitution: Aggravation of all symptoms and complaints by exposure to damp and cold. Periodicity: Unvaried and unchanging periodicity. Indicated in malarial fevers. Headache > by smoking in open air. Pain Os calcis, sensation of swelling . Kent's repertory Extremities, pain, boring, heel os calcis, continued motion > Arania . In fever chilly day and night always > in rain. 7. Tooth ache < in night. Periodicity is marked.
2. BENZOIC ACID: Rheumatic or gouty complaints with gonorrheal or syphilitic base. Urine dark brown and the urinous odor highly intensified. Nocturnal enuresis in delicate children with strong characteristic odor of urine. Exhausting diarrhea of children- stool is white, liquid --running right through the diaper, very offensive. Left sided complaints. Chilly patient.
3. BORIC ACID: Climacteric flushing (3x potency- Cooper). Renal colic with frequent urging to urinate. Formication of hands and feet. Headache with noises in ears and vertigo.
4. BUTYRIC ACID: Impulsive thoughts of suicide. Headache worse going upstairs and rapid motion. Cramps in pit of stomach worse at night. Pronounced sleeplessness. Profuse, offensive foot sweat.
5. CINNABARIS: Sulphide of mercury. Catarrhal troubles of throat; dryness of throat;<at night. Pain shoots across the eye from canthus to canthus or go around the eye.
6. COMOCLADIA DENTATA: Common name - Guao. Preparation and Part Used :- Tincture of leaves and bark. Shows the botanical affinity with rhus family by its virulence on its effect on skin. The trunk and branches of the tree contains a milky fluid turning black on exposure to sunlight, discolring the skin, linen etc. The slightest contact and at times even walking in the neighborhood of the growing tree is sufficient to cause violent inflammation. The plant causes itchy, swelling, redness, vesication and ulceration. Sloughing ulcer of right breast. Indolent ulcer of lower third of right leg discharging foetid pus. Cough with pain under left breast going through to left scapula. . Eye- Pain in right eye with sensation as if it were larger than the left. Rheumatic pains > motion < rest. In contradiction to Rhus heat < and open air.
7. COPAIVA: Acts powerfully on mucous membranes , especially that of urinary tract, the respiratory organs, and the skin, here producing a well marked nettle rash, colds and catarrhs. Sensitive to sharp sounds. Food tastes too salty. Gastric troubles during menstruation or following urtiucaria. Dysmenorrhoea, pains extending to the hip bones with nausea. Hives with fever and constipation. Chronic urticaria in children.
8. CHROMIC ACID: Symptoms come and go suddenly, and return periodically. Offensive discharges. Foul smelling sanious lochia. Disagreeable pricking and itching here and there , with uneasiness in limbs. On turning to right side pain in left side goes off. Sensation of a vacuum at heart; of emptiness in chest. Rheumatism aggravated by least draught of air and by cold water.
9. DOLICHOS PRURIENS: Itching without eruptions. Jaundice. Haemorrhoidal diathesis. Right sided. Pain below right angle of jaw as if a splinter were embedded vertically. Colic from getting feet wet. Constipation with intense itching; bloated abdomen.
10. EEL SERUM (SERUM ANGUILLAR ICHTHYOTOXIN): It is commonly indicated in renal affections. The sphere of actions are Kidney, Heart, Blood. Usually indicated in renal complaints with Oliguria, Albuminurea, anaemia etc; acute nephritis with uremia. Also in hypertension with oliguria without oedema. Known as Digitalis of Kidney.
11. FEL TAURI: Oxy gall. Increases the duodenal secretion, emulsify fat and increase the peristaltic action of intestine. Liquefies bile and act as a purgative & cholegogue . Disordered digestion, diarrhoea and pain in the nape of neck are the main symptoms . Biliary calculi, obstruction of gall duct, jaundice. Tendency to sleep after eating . Eructation, violent peristaltic movement.
12. GALLIC ACID: Delirium at night, restless, jumps out of bed. Pulmonary hemorrhage in Phthisis. Painful distress along ureters into the bladder with cream colored urine. Passive hemorrhage when pulse feeble and capillaries relaxed, cold skin. Pyrosis.
13. HYDROCYANIC ACID: Convulsions and paralysis expresses the action of the remedy. Suddenness of the attacks and prostration are leading indications. Sinking sensation at the epigastrium. Drinks rumbles through throat and stomach. Fears everything and fear of imaginary troubles. Stage of collapse especially in cholera
14. INDIGO: Epilepsy with great sadness. Pure powdered indigo placed on the wound cures spider and snake poison. Stricture of oesophagus. Sciatica, pain from middle of thigh to knee. Pain in limbs worse after every meal. Fits begins with dizziness. Aura from painful spot between shoulders. Reflex spasms from worms.
15. LACTIC ACID: Copious salivation water-brash and morning sickness especially in pale anemic women. Nausea better by eating. Burning pain in stomach worse from smoking. Pain in breasts with enlargement of axillary glands and pain extends into hand.
16. LATHYRUS SATIVUS: Painless, spastic, motor paralysis. Exaggerated reflexes. Hypochondriacal. Vertigo when standing with eyes closed. Burning pain in tip of tongue. Sleepy, constant yawning. Knees knock against each other when walking; heel do not touch the ground. Gluteal muscles and lower limbs emaciated. Frequent urge to urinate, must hurry, else voided involuntarily.
17. LATRODUCTUS MACTANTS: Source: spider found in South America. Prepared from small female spider. In this group of spider after mating female eats male, which is much smaller in size. Hence it is known as " black widow spider"Proving done by John Brand bury and Dr. A W Blair. Introduced in to materia medica by John and Tafel. It produces a typical picture of Angina pectoris accompanied by restless ness and prostration. Violent praecordial pain extending to axillae and down to arm, forearm and to fingers with numbness of extremities. Pulse feeble and rapid. In synthesis the rubric chest, angina.
Latro M +++
Tarent H ++
18. MYGALE LASIODORA COBANO: Source: large black live Cuban spider. Prover: J. C. Howard. Prepared by putting live black Cuban spider in alcohol. One of the principle medicine for chorea. Twitching of the muscle of the face is characteristic. Unsteady gait. Constant motion of whole body. Mouth and eyes open and close in a rapid succession. Gen > in deep sleep. < Morning.
19. NATRUM SALICYLATUM: Has a wide range of action on mind, head, ear, throat, kidney, liver and on metabolism. Useful in mineer's disease, periosteum rheumatism, strabisinus, staminering, and irritation of inguinal glends. alarming prostraion - physical and mental.
Mind- vomiting , unconsciousness delirium from which 4 patient wakes up with cries.
Eye- amblyopia, mydriasis Cdoes not see distant objects. Retinal haemerrhage, iridocyclitis.
Ear-vertigo, tinnitus and deafness. objects seem to move ton right side.
Rspiratory -dyspnoea with great heat. panting, forcible, > by half stiff posture.
Heart - Pulse stronger, arterial pressure increased, pulse irregular, weak, compressible and falls under 35 per minute. non - homeopathically used for a/c rheumatism, lumbago & sciatica and dysmenorrhoea.
20. OAENANTHE CROCATA: This remedy is indicated in Convulsions that are epileptiform in character and in epilepsy. Peculiar symptoms in convulsions. Cold as if dead during convulsions. Noise in throat as if being choked. Burning heat. Numbness. Legs Stretched Straight Out. All Symptoms<from water. It is also of service in cases of Leprosy & ichthyoids also where there are red spots on the face. Useful in Sciatica also.
21. OLEUM JACORIS ASELLI: Commonly called as Cod liver oil. Oils obtained from the liver of Gadus morrhua and some other allied fishes. Prover: Neidhard. It is a nutrient and hepatic remedy. The common indications are:There is soreness of throat, chest, abdomen, kidney etc; Palpitation is seen as a concomitant symptom. The discharges are usually yellow. Dry hacking cough with soreness of chest. Indicated in phthisis. Sense of fluttering commencing in the region of sacrum rising to occiput. Creeping sensation with rush of blood to heart. Evening fevers with burning in palms. Chills running down back. Cold feet. Sensitiveness to cold and damp. Locally applied in ring worm affections. Emaciated. Dwarfish chilly babies with increased appetite, anemia and milk intolerance. Abnormal growth of hair on the face of women.
22. OOPHORINUM: Ovarian extract. Complaints following ovariotomy. Climacteric disturbances, ovarian cyst. Prurigo, acne rosacea.
23. PERTUSSIN: Pertussin is prepared from the lysate obtained, without addition of antiseptic, from the expectoration of the patient suffering from whooping cough not yet treated. Tuberculus state. Syndrome of jacquelin burnad (Atypical tuberculosis of the sub febrile form, general torpid toxaemia of slow evolution. with broken-down constitution). Whooping cough. Spasmodic cough of person suffering from bronchitis or tuberculosis. Encephalopathy specially when there is whooping cough is an antecedent. Dry cough spasmodic of different intensity, come suddenly. Epilepsy, repeated fits which ends in rejection of mucosites and vomiting.
24. PITUTARIA GLANDULA: Pituitary gland. Have a superior control over growth and development of sexual organs. Stimulate the muscular activity and overcome uterine inertia. Marked action on unstriped muscular fibers . Cerebral hemorrhage, chek it and help in the absorption of clots. Uterine inertia in the second stage of labour, when the os is fully dilated. High BP, acute nephritis and prostatis. Vertigo, difficult mental concentration, confusion& fullness . Use in 30th potency.
25. PANCREATINUM: A combination of several enzymes. Imperfect digestion, lienteric diarrhoea. Pain an hour or more after eating. Better if not given in the active period of digestion.
26. PHYSOSTIGMINUM: Slows action of heart and increases arterial tension; in ciliary spasm and spasmodic astigmatism due to irregular action of ciliary muscles; blepharo-spasms; pupils contracted. Twitching of lids, soreness of eyeballs, blurring of vision after using. eyes, pain around eyes and head.
27. PICRIC ACID: Burning pain along the spine and great weakness of spine and back with softening of cord. Heaviness, numbness, Formication and weakness are the keynotes. Burns of first and second degree. Headaches and brain fag of students, teachers and overworked business men, from grief or depressing emotions. Priapism from spinal diseases. Pernicious anemia.
28. POTHOS FOETIDUS OR ICTODES FOETIDA: Natural order: Orontiacea (allied to Aracea). Spasmodic asthma worse from inhalation of dust. Asthma ameliorated by stool. Violent sneezing with pain in palate and fauces. Absent-mindedness. Hysteria and hysterical paroxysms resembling Tetanus with enormous bloating of abdomen. General aggravation from motion and amelioration in open air.
29. RHUS VENENATA: poison elder or poison sumach or swamp sumach. An exceedingly poisonous variety. It is frequently named Rhus vernix-the name belong properly to the allied varnish tree of Japan. It has a large blossom of a dark reddish brown colour. It is a small tree growing sometimes to the height of 10 feet very much resembling Ailanthus.
30. RHUS AROMATICA: Common name : Fragrant Sumach. Preparation and Part Used :- Tincture of fresh root bark. It is a shrub growing from 2-6 feet high on high rocky soil. Stem straight branching near the top. Flowers yellow fruit clustered red seedy and acid. When the bush is fractured it emits a strong odour. The bark of the root is the proper medicinal part. Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetis Insipidus. Enuresis. Due to vesical atony, senile incontinence. Urine - pale, albuminous, severe pain at beginning or before urination. Large quantities of urine of low specific gravity.
31. RHUS VENENATA: Common name - Poison elder. Preparation and part used: - It is a small tree growing sometimes to the height of 10 feet. Tincture of fresh leaves and stem is used for preparing medicine. It is more poisonous than Rhus Tox and is more actively curative. Intense itching and burning of scrotum and penis. Glans is very painful. Slight friction > for a moment the itching, but not the burning. Eczema with intense distress. Inflammation of eyes. Affects the bones. Those parts were bones are directly covered with skin. Watery stool passed with great force and attended with violent colicky pain.
32. ROBINIA PSEUDACASIA: Hyperchlorhydria. Acidity accompanied by frontal headache. Intensely acrid eructation. Acrid and greenish vomiting. Nightly burning pains in stomach. Constipation with urgent desire. Nymphomania. Acrid fetid leucorrhoea. Inter menstrual bleeding. Herpes on vagina and vulva.
33. SALICYLIC ACID: Meniere's disease with roaring and ringing in ears. Fermentative dyspepsia with hot, sour belching. Complaints from suppressed foot sweat. Gastro- intestinal disturbances in children with frog's spawn like stools.
34. SENNA: Acetonaemia. Constipation with colic and flatulence. Hepatomegaly. Oxaluria. increased specific gravity of urine. Hyperazoturia, phosphaturia, and acetonuria.
35. TRIFOLIUM PRATENSE: Produces most marked ptyalism. Fullness of salivary glands followed by profuse flow of saliva. Cancerous diathesis. Infantile eczema. Mental failure, loss of memory. Hoarse and chocking; chills with cough at night. Whooping cough. Tingling in palms; Tibial ulcers.
Conclusion: It is through frequent use in practice that the uncommon remedies become 'Remedies of common use' otherwise they remain neglected.